Most people who don't have food to eat or clothes to wear, do have time to share. They are capable of working and earing an income, if properly motivated and given the opportunity. The Bus Stop Mission offers an alternative to begging. We provide training and necessities to individuals and families who don't have the money to pay for them, by providing the opportunity to earn what you need, but can't afford. We offer anyone in need, the opportunity to exchange your time for store or program vouchers. We have a variety of "tasks" that can be done in exchange for vouchers, including;
- Sweeping, raking or picking up trash
- Working in the vegetable garden
- Collecting and cracking almonds from trees on our property
- Sorting, washing, mending, ironing or folding clothes for the Discount Shop
- Collecting glass bottles that can be recycled and used for crafts
- Assisting with the making of meals for our kids lunch program and our wobye meal program wobye = work for the bread you eat
- Mentoring or tutoring a child in the homework help program
- Making crafts that will be sold in our shop or to craft vendors around the island
- Teaching or assisting with a Saturday or evening class
- Assisting with our Saturday youth program or movie night
Each task will be assigned a voucher amount. No cash is offered. Voucher amounts for each task will be determined based on a reasonable time expectation for completion of that task.
Our "Earn it" program is not meant to replace the need for regular employment. It is meant to fill an immediete need of food, clothing and education while focusing attention on the fact that everyones time is valuable. Everyones time can be used as blessing for themselves and others. We want all involved in the "Earn it" program to learn to recognize each day, each hour as a gift from God and then learn to use their time wisely in ways that will honor Him.